Access Health kicks off open enrollment on Facebook Live

Nov 01, 2017


Access Health CT CEO Jim Wadleigh kicked off the start of open enrollment for healthcare insurance for 2018 Wednesday morning by taking questions at a forum on Facebook Live.

Accompanied by Lt. Gov. Nancy Wyman, Wadleigh acknowledged that there is "a lot of uncertainty coming out of Washington, D.C." because of truncated marketing funds and a shortened open enrollment period for 2018.

He also says, however, that the state healthcare exchange is looking to enroll at least as many people as last year. The exchange had about 100,000 people enrolled as of August.

Connecticut residents can shop for, and enroll in, health insurance coverage through the state's exchange starting today through Dec. 22 online, in-person, or on the phone.

Using social media is just another tool to extend the exchange's message, Wadleigh said.

"We want to make sure people continue to enroll and, once they enroll, understand the benefits that they are getting," he said.

This year's open enrollment period is shorter, at just eight weeks.

Wyman said the exchange is working hard to ensure people are insured.

"We really believe we have one of the best exchanges in the country," Wyman said. "I will stand by the people working here. … They are doing the best they can making sure the people in the state are insured in the best plans and getting the help they need [to enroll and access benefits]."

During the enrollment period, AHCT will host five Saturday enrollment fairs with health plan "one-stop shopping". AHCT staff, application counselors, and certified brokers will be available to assist consumers.