On December 12, 2012, the Connecticut Health Council hosted its inaugural event, a luncheon with Robert J. Blendon at the Connecticut Convention Center, and unveiled an unprecedented collaboration among hospitals, insurance carriers, wellness providers and other health related entities to more than 400 members of the business and healthcare sectors. Featuring opening remarks from Governor Dannel P. Malloy, the event kicked off a year of top-notch programs and the state’s first organized effort to brand itself as a destination for healthcare companies to do business. In just one year, by showcasing the deep assets and rich expertise that make up Connecticut’s healthcare community, the Connecticut Health Council has become a trusted industry resource and networking collaborative.
Under the leadership of interim executive director, Mickey Herbert (Harvard Pilgrim Health Care), and co-chairs Bob Patricelli (Women’s Health USA) and Marty Gavin (Connecticut Children’s Medical Center), the Council hosted six national experts in its first year, including:
- Karen Ignagni, President and CEO of America’s Health Plans
- Scott Rasmussen, founder and president of Rasmussen Reports, political analyst, New York Times best-selling author and independent public opinion pollster
- Tom Daschle, former U.S. Senate Majority Leader and a senior policy advisor to the law firm DLA Piper
- Robert J. Blendon, award-winning researcher in public opinion, directs the Harvard Opinion Research Program
- Kevin Counihan, Chief Executive Officer, Access Health CT
- Carl Zimmer, award-winning author and science journalist
The Council also hosted a series of Affordable Care Act workshops featuring local experts to help the business and health care communities understand the implications of the Act and to get their questions answered.
Each of the programs hosted by the Council in 2013 were designed to foster deeper collaboration among members of the health sector and offer national perspective and expertise on the topics and trends impacting health care providers and practitioners across Connecticut.
In 2014, the Connecticut Health Council will host a number of programs across the state, covering the topics impacting the industry both nationally and locally. Featured events during the upcoming year include:
- Insights from Richard J. Umbdenstock, President and Chief Executive Officer, American Hospital Association (Thursday, January 9th at the Hartford Marriott Downtown)
- The Role of Diet and Nutrition in Effective Wellness Programs
- Patient Advocacy
- An Update on Access Health CT and the Affordable Care Act
- Insights from Jonathan Bush, Chief Executive Officer, President and Chairman of the Board, athenahealth, Inc. (Wednesday, May 14th at the Hartford Marriott Downtown)
Additionally, the Council strives to grow its community of Founding Partners to 100 during the year ahead.
For a video of the Founding Partner perspective on the Connecticut Health Council’s first year, click here
. The Connecticut Health Council is an association of health sector leaders who work together to promote Connecticut as a premier center for the development of businesses, initiatives, and technology that improve health care and wellness both nationally and in the State. The Council fosters collaboration, education, entrepreneurship, and networking among leaders of for-profit and non-profit entities within the health sector.